Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Monday Muggings: Thanksgiving...where did it go?



I read an interesting essay by Dr. Gipp, on the fate of Thanksgiving.

The author lamented that ALL the stores have the Oct 31st's horrible decorations, everywhere, and right on the heels of those decorations come the December 25th decorations. 
I thought that his observation was interesting, and left it at that. 

Well, I went to Hobby Lobby again, I really like that store.  They do not 'do' October 31st--for which I am very glad--so I shop only there during those days.  All of our other fabric and craft shops have 10-31 plastered all over the place in every shape, size and design.  I make it a point NOT to go to any of those shops during their promotions of such an event--it took me a while to decide NOT take advantage of their HUGE sale on some fabrics and notions.

Back to my disappearing Thanksgiving...Two weeks ago I received the fabric shop's sales catalog which started on the following Sunday (10-31) and on the cover was 12-25 ALL OVER that catalogue.  They had SKIPPED Thanksgiving! just as the astute aforementioned author had stated...

They have taken my Thanksgiving away...only the grocery stores have some sort of allusion to it by the stuffing--canned corn--baking bags--canned pumpkin et.al.  Some grocery stores may have displays of assorted sizes and colors of gourds, but that's it. 

Our Thanksgiving Holiday has gone from the remembrance of thanking God for His provision of the Plymouth Rock folks, to the Pilgrims thanking the Indians/Native Americans for introducing them to "corn",  to Turkey Day, to making stuffing with some vegan turkey! Whaaaaaa.....??!!!!

I am STILL grateful to our Great and Wonderful God for having brought a group of gutsy families to this coast for the purpose of giving God the glory for their accomplished enterprise in the name of their Sovereign King James the first (with all of his titles)...and...our family will be remembering that event, and once again thanking God, our Great and Wonderful God for His continual provision...at all times. 
Join us in remembering what this FOURTH THURSDAY IN NOVEMBER is for.

I'll leave you with this:

"Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits:"   Psalms 103:2

In His hands,  ^__^


P.S.  If you don't want to fulfill the doom sayers sayings, and would like to avoid the 'unpleasant family' thing...be grateful for being part of YOUR family and not some other horrible family worse than yours...  "Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ" Ephesians 5:20

      

No comments: