Tuesday, January 1, 2008

New year, and we are still peasants, Yay!

Glad to be getting back to 'normal' after the busy season.

17F and sunny, and windy. It's going to be 'hot' by the end of the week, maybe in the 50s. I'll be able to get to the store to replenish, our depleted pantry.

Still taking the day off today, that means, no cleaning, laundry, or running errands. Most of America is probably watching a game or shopping at those extra-ordinary sales. I am resisting the urge to go to JoAnn's they have 70% off clearance. Very difficult to not go, maybe if DH offers to drive me and go to Harbor Freight (a guy's gadget store) next door to JoAnn's. [Business planners did very well on this one]

$ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $

Now I have a rant--to no one's surprise--about a commercial that I heard on the radio.
Note: we have not watched TV in almost 2 years, and this may be a TV commercial as well.
I had heard this commercial several times, but as I do with all commercials, I do not listen--you know how Moms can do that. By the 7th or 8th time that I heard it, I HEARD IT!

It says something like this: "Dispatcher, there is a car in the ditch at such and such address", "Dispatcher, there is a car off the 3 floor of the parking garage, at such and such address", "Dispatcher, there is a car in the lake, at such and such park"

Then the announcer, says that people are ditching their old cars so they can take advantage of the "blah, blah, blah-auto-maker" sale.

Did everyone get it the first time they heard it, or did it take them several times, like it did me?

Apparently, the advertisers have gone to the NEXT LEVEL of infiltration into the mindless listening public. (personal opinion--not all the listening public is mindless, but you know what I mean)
What I mean by NEXT LEVEL is: Advertisers, first had to create a need for a product i.e., cake mix. (like it's so time consuming to assemble flour and baking powder, whhhho!)
Then, they--the advertisers--created a discontent with what you had, and caused you to covet the new color, shape, size, etc.
Now, they are saying: "Pitch what you have" Never mind the waste, cost, repercussions to the insurance industry, possible personal injury to the unsuspecting bystanders (under the car you are throwing over the rail), and many other things that I have not thought of, yet. But, hey! it's so funny! The thought of casting off your perfectly good car...from a couple of years ago...because the new one is here, is just funny, lighten up, already! Who would actually do thaaaat??!! Would they? You watch...and pay attention to your local news...and see if anyone would actually do that. Naaaaah, you're too sensitive.

I'll leave you with this:

"Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. " Heb 13:5
Was that loud enough?

In His hands, ^__^

3 comments:

BellaMama said...

Still blessed peasants here too!! Your weather seems the same as ours, except we've had another several inches of snow...it's beautiful!
Beginning to organize and get even more done!! Put up my 2008 calendar & reading what all everyone else is doing/getting done is inspiring me to start!!
Enjoy your day!! Mrs.C.

bayith said...

Happy New Year!
Thank the Lord for what he has provided! and for what he will do this year!...as for advertising...are we really surprised? We remember "Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity ever thought to the obedience of Christ;" IICor.10:5
Be Encouraged

Daisy said...

I love the scripture. Perfect ending to your post.