Tuesday, October 19, 2010

I'm in a reading mood

Finally got some rain.  I think it was 25 drops.  Then some thunder all around us...but later a good shower.
Ah, it is finally fall! The trees are beginning to turn, the sumac is red, and the maples are getting awesome.  Temps in the 60s...love it!

It is the season for burning leaves, and other yard waste...sort of ugly smelling, but the pretty breezes take away the smell.

Started baking--just a couple of meals, so far. 


But, to the topic at hand:  I've been in a reading mood, not only increasing my Bible reading, but other books reading.  Too many books started, most nice, one boooorrrrrriiiing, but I will complete it.  "Our Guilty Silence" is a short book by John Stott.  He has a twisted understanding of Salvation and of the Person of Jesus Christ., he is an old fellow, who was 'converted' many years before I was born--so he should know better.  You check him out, and decide for yourself.   I don't know if I should put 'it' in my book list. 
Also reading "The Sinfulness of Sin" by Ralph Venning (written in 1665) another Puritan Paperback.
The others are by Cloud, Gipp, and George Foxx--the founder of Quakerism--his autobiography. Also found the UNABRIDGED "The Christian in Complete Armour"  by William Gurnall. (It was in a super sale.  Got it for $9.99.  It is a 1300 page tome, [who reads these books anymore???] which may take me a while to read--especially since I'm reading so many at a time.


I  know that all these authors are ALL OVER THE "DOCTRINAL" PLACE, but I like to read from the horse's mouth--as it were--to what all the denominational groups adhere.  I SHALL NOT read Calvin...he is so sloooowwww to get to the point.  I don't think he ever does...all Calvinists hold on!  Don't throw things at me yet.   Even considering the language style of the day, and making room for translation issues...still...I can write my weekly grocery shopping list and plan my meals, while reading Calvin, and not miss a 'jot or tittle' of what he says.  Holey-canoley, Batman!

I was listening to a testimony of a lady who reads her Bible approximately FIVE times a year!  The way she accomplishes it is by reading the Bible for an hour and a half per day.  Yup, 1 and 1/2 hours per day.  She says that anyone can do this.  Instead of reading the newspaper, or a magazine, or other books [ouch!] or be on the internet for 1 and 1//2 hours, use that time to read the Bible.  A very nice and doable challenge. 

Better go get something done,

I'll leave you with this:

 "But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
  But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God."  I Corinthians 2:9-10

In His hands,  ^__^

No comments: